Friday, November 1, 2013

A Family of Collectors

   

When I was a kid growing up in a small town in central Illinois in the 60's, there wasn't a lot of choices for things to do on Friday and Saturday night. I don't remember being bored though, because in those days it wasn't necessary to be constantly entertained. Most Friday nights were spent at the skating rink, and for me that was a world I could get lost in. I was a skinny, homely little girl and quite aware of it....so for me skating became somewhat of an escape; something I could do well enough and at times fast enough that I could almost leave that skinny, awkward little ugly girl behind...at least for a little while...at least in my mind.
    On Saturday night, we would often
go to the auction house in Taylor Springs for the evening. For a quarter I might get a whole box of junk and have fun sorting it all out at home to see what treasures I might have purchased. Or I might get a whole box of books, and that was exciting too. I still have a set of 1928 Encyclopedias I got for a quarter at one of those Saturday night auctions. It wasn't just the auction though; it was getting hamburgers from the snack bar for supper, looking at everything before the auction started, and seeing all the same families each week. Poor man's fun perhaps, but the memories are good ones.

   
  I think it was the Saturday night auctions that got me started with my first collection. I bought a stamp collection that someone had decided to part with, and was soon obsessed with collecting stamps from everywhere. After the newness wore off I kind off lost interest though and began to look for something else to collect. I still have that old stamp collection though....it will probably be going on Ebay soon.
     Both of my parents were collectors, so it's no surprise that I would take up the hobby, or series of hobbies. I have collected souvenir spoons, music boxes, coins, autographs and autographed books. My dad collected ducks, liquor decanters, and different kinds of antique glassware. My mom collected mice (there is a story there), Hull refrigerator pitchers, creamers, and platters. We all loved antique furniture and antique oddities, so it is without further need for explanation that I invite you to check out my online stores to get a view of my family collections and perhaps find a hobby you might want to pursue. There were many memories made in the pursuit of these collections and as time goes by I'll try to share some of them with you.
     What I've learned through these years of collecting is that it's the memories that are made in the process that will remain with you; the physical collections will just go on to become part of someone elses pursuit.


    My Ebay Store
    My Etsy Store

The Bee-Gals


       

No comments:

Post a Comment